Monday, September 29, 2008

Football musings

By now, the euphoria has subsided over the Redskins brilliant victory in Dallas over the previously undefeated Cowboys. What should be long lasting though, is the belief that Jim Zorn and Jason Campbell are for real. Campbell is thriving in the West Coast offense, and Zorn has managed to still stay true to the heritage of Redskins smash mouth, run first mentality. If the team can stay balanced on offense and stout on D, this has the makings of a very special year in DC.

Did anyone see the Brett Favre breakout performance coming? I certainly did which is why I look genius now for drafting him in my fantasy league as a backup to Tom Brady. Once Brady went down, my cohorts laughed at me. Who is laughing now after Brett put up 6 TDs and scored 46 fantasy points?! It has to be bittersweet for him to see the Packers look more and more hapless each week. And the injury prone Aaron Rodgers is living up to his fragile billing.

Finally, I want to focus on college for a bit. I must admit, that I was buying the hype that was USC after they smashed "The Ohio State University". But people, come on. We cannot write off the entire Big Ten because OSU laid an egg. I for one am happy to see the Penn State Nittany Lions bring joy again to Happy Valley. Could this be the year Joe Pa silences the haters and leaves on top? They look like they have as good a chance as anyone else. Did I mention that my Northwestern Wildcats are also 5-0?! The SEC is a class above everyone else, but after the feeble games played by Georgia, Florida, and narrow victory by LSU, you have to question if they are truly as dominant as people would have you believe. I am thinking right now that the National Championship may see Oklahoma against either Penn State or Alabama. Any 2 of those three would be tremendous.

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: